Without knowing what "set" he was working with, I know alot of folks that have made quite a bit of coin from them (or what is considered the PvP sets); Bloodied Pyrium, the Ornate Pyrium, Bloodied Dragonscale, Wyrmhide, Fireweave, etc.
Fear not, folks, although there is a "slight" change....
Once you download Patch 4.2, you will see your skills updated. No, not the skills you use to kill your squirrels while farming, but your crafted gear. Lemme go to wowhead and take a slice of their pie to explain (mouse-over the items for the new ilvl). This little list is also helpful for you 'smithers that are wondering what the cost for the full set is too. =)
The crafted pvp gear changes are going from the old (bloodied) i339 to the new (bloodthirsty) i358. What we are seeing is that the Firelands Raid "dropped" recipes are to be i378, epic crafted weapons are i365, respectively. What does this mean? Well, you should be absolutely killing the market with the new crafts that "magically" appear in your window. A big thanks to Blizz on that one. So craft it up, get em on the AH asap! Remember, if you aren't first in the gold game, you are last. Get the sales, keep the market, and watch the gold fly in!
Yeah. I figured. You already had it planned out to do this. For those that hadn't, here's a little checklist for you (new patch, first day):
1. Open all craftable windows- what I mean here is get on your toons, see what's new or what has changed (especially in this case, see above).
2. Check trainer for....well....training. You would be surprised what shows up even if you are prepared from patch notes, blogs, etc.
3. Reset all your Auctions. I am sure to hear some flak on this one, but you want the freshest and bestest prices going. Quick sales= Quick gold= Quick recrafts= More gold. Don't fall into the "I double the price of "x" material, because sooner or later the ones under me will sell". Nope. With all the information that is out there on gold making, you cant risk it. Sell 10 of X item in the first day for 200g profit? Or sell one of X item in 10 days with 200g profit (because you weren't pushing the market, and it stabilized when yours didn't sell).
4. If you hadn't already, do a mini stockpile of the mats you need- on the market(s)with zero competition. Anytime I put a craftable item in the AH, I usually set two up for the same price, then have one in stock in my bag. When one sells, repost, then rock up another piece for your bags. Constant flow= Constant gold.
5. Keep tabs on Wowhead, MMOChampion, and Blogroll- This is a biggie. Once again, there is a ton of information that is out there, and you can't do everything at once. That's where the help comes in. There are great resources out there, make sure and use them!
6. Check Farm locations, usually herb and ore spots. This is a biggie. Now we know there are an absolute ton of dailies coming out, but if you go off the past information we have had, be it whiptail spawn-rates, ZG epics, etc, patches bring gold for farmers. Once again, keep on a lookout for these locations.
There it is. Getcha ready for the patch, get logged in, and make some gold! Look for posts this week on the new scoops in 4.2 as they come out.
Oh, and if you didn't figure the answer for the question.......Hell's No's! It's gonna be just as good of a seller as the "old" sets! Getta move on, little doggie!